Over the last few months there has been a notable increase in the number of ethical queries and complaints being received by SAISI. Many of these are due to lack awareness and knowledge of ethical practice. Whilst we will continue to address all individual cases that come to our attention, we will also be rolling out a series of short information blogs to unpack and demystify the HPCSA Ethical Guidelines for you. If there is anything specific that you would like us to address, please let us know.
We will be covering the following topics:
- What is in the HPCSA Booklets, which should we have and how to get these?
- Understanding Booklet 1 – part 1:
- What are the ethical values and standards for good practice?
- What is an ethical dilemma and how to resolve ethical dilemmas?
- Understanding Booklet 1 – part 2:
- What are duties and what duties do we have?
- Unpacking informed consent and patient participation in care, specifically related to OT in schools and screening in schools.
- Unpacking patient confidentiality.
- How does this impact on sharing of information in a school setting?
- Ethical guidelines on social media.
- Guidelines related to over-servicing, perverse incentives and related matters
We hope you’ll find it’s a lot of food for thought and that you’ll consider subscribing to the blog – that way the full series will be delivered straight to your inbox.